Should it be
i. Mid-Autumn Festival
ii. Mooncake Festival
iii. Moon Festival
iv. Lantern Festival or
v. all of the above?
If you are staying at the Southern hemisphere, I guess Mid-Autumn is quite inaccurate. As for me personally, I still prefer to say ' HAPPY MOONCAKE FESTIVAL!!!'
Why do we celebrate Mooncake Festival? I was asked this question a few days ago and the first story that came to mind is about the overthrowing of a Mongol ruler in China, the historical dates elude me. The story goes that some revolutionists put little paper strips into the mooncake to set a date for revolt and distribute the mooncake to villagers. This, I first learnt from one English texts during my primary school days.
Then of course, there's the folklore about Chang Er, and her spouse who's a great archer who shoots the sun, and the rabbit in the moon. Sorry, I wasn't so sure about the whole tale but you can always source from Wikipedia.
Apparently, Koreans and Vietnamese celebrate the same lunar festivals as the Chinese. Besides eating mooncake, anything else that you do traditionally for this festivity? As for me, I was at the Thames River Festival, basking in some festive mood though not exactly oriental.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment